Friday, September 4, 2009

Me, myself and I

Hi,

These above are my designs for the first assignment of NM2208. This is the first time I do something related to design, decoration and coloring so that it is inevitable to have many disadvantages. Hope that you my friends, through this blog, will give me valuable advices as well as suggestions to improve my works in latter times.

About my designs, the topic is about my name and what I like or dislike. During the lecture, I sketched some brainstorming drafts in which I tried to make up my name by things I like and things I do not. You can see through the photos below:





Initially, I just thought about putting things together to build up my name, but my tutor commented that it seemed quite simple and a little bit boring. Therefore, I concentrated on observing more my classmates' designs through their presentations in class and I realized that it would be better if I built a background and arranged my stuffs in more natural order. Then, I began to sketch my background.

I mainly spent thoughts on two ideas about Christmas-the celebration I like most, and daisy-my favorite flower. I thought about bringing my Christmas stuffs, including a pine tree (represented for the letter A), a line of colorful decorative lights (the letter N) and two Christmas socks (the letter H) in a room with some gift boxes. At first, it looked like this:

I spent more than 20 hours to draw this one, because I had not familiar with all Illustrator's and Photoshop's tools. The hardest part of this picture is the pine tree, I had to look through a lot photos, draw and fixed it several times to make it looked as much as like the real one. Although I made many attempts on this picture, no one could realize that is my name, ANH. My classmates commented that the letter H (supposed to be the socks) could not be found and the gifts under the pine tree made the letter A not clear. They suggested me to move the gifts out of the tree and also move the socks higher to the lights after lengthening them. These advices were extremely helpful, my picture was improved a lot and the letters become easier to recognize.


My second design is daisy. I love daisy because of its purity and simple beauty. About this design, my tutor said it was more improved than the previous one. It is simple, but clear. I chose a green grass hill under bright blue sky as the background for my 7 lovely white daisies.

I drew this one faster, about 6 hours. My friends advised that the letter H should be changed a bit because it looked as similar as the letter A. Once again, I fixed it and found out that it was clearer.



That's all about my first designs. Thank my tutor and my classmates very much to provide me a lot of valuable advices to fix them better.

2 comments:

  1. ở bài đầu tiên em thấy cây thông mà sao ko có chân chị ơi, còn mấy món wà đặt thế hơi bị chơ vơ. Sao chị ko cho wà sát vào đôi tất lun :D
    Tấm hoa cúc thì nhẹ nhàng + cool hơn, like :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the 2nd draft of the 1st assignment, i still wonder why the pine does not have the root. And the presents are in desolation, i mean it is not sticked to anywhere. Why don't you put it near the socks.
    The 2nd assignment, the daisy one, is very nice and soft. I like it a lot :D

    ReplyDelete